CHARLOTTE, N.C., July 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- UTC Aerospace Systems announced today that the ORS-1 satellite has celebrated its second anniversary in space. ORS-1, the first Operationally Responsive Space satellite specifically designed to support combatant command operations was launched from Wallops Island Flight Facility aboard a Minotaur I launch vehicle on June 29, 2011, at 11:09 p.m. EDT. UTC Aerospace Systems is a unit of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX).
"The ORS-1 satellite has been meeting or exceeding expectations since its launch and continues to provide daily support to US Central Command and to those tasked to protect our troops and efforts overseas," said Andreas Nonnenmacher, general manager, ISR Systems. "This anniversary marks the satellite's second year of service, and the team is very pleased that ORS-1 has exceeded its mission design life."
Designed, manufactured, integrated and tested by ISR Systems in Danbury, CT, ORS-1 is a 500Kg class satellite that is providing a warfighting advantage. In recognition of its importance, ORS-1 has garnered numerous commendations, including:
- C4ISR Journal - one of the nation's 25 most important concepts
- Aviation Week - one of four finalists nominated for the prestigious Laureate Award in the Space category
- AIAA - nominated for the Space Systems Award
- National Space Club - nominated for the General Bernard Schriever Award
- AOC – earned 2012 Mission Sustainment Integrated Product Team Award
Initiated to fulfill requirements from the Commander of US Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM) to support US Central Command (USCENTCOM), the satellite went from the drawing board to delivery in 30 months. Less than 90 days after launch, ORS-1 earned early COCOM acceptance and has been satisfying the mission needs of USCENTCOM and others ever since.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts