NEW YORK ( TheStreet)--Second quarter earnings guidance is on track to break a record for S&P 500 companies, according to data published Friday by FactSet, a financial services research company.
Eighty seven S&P 500 companies have issued negative second quarter guidance, FactSet found--more than in any previous quarter since the company began collecting such data in 2006.
By contrast, just 21 companies have issued positive guidance, which is on track to be a record low number. The current records--both for high negative guidance and low positive guidance--were set in the first quarter of this year, when 86 companies were negative and 25 were positive in their earnings guidance.
In terms of sector (with a minimum of five companies issuing quarterly EPS guidance) financials have been most negative, with 100% of the companies that issued guidance being negative. That is followed by materials (90%), industrials (82%) and information technology (81%).Despite all the negative guidance, FactSet found it didn't necessarily lead stocks lower. Electronic Arts (EA), for example, issued negative guidance on May 7, saying it would lose $0.62 per share in the quarter compared to consensus estimates of a $0.37 loss. Nonetheless, shares rose 20% from the time period starting two days before the guidance was issued through two days afterward. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV