NEW YORK (TheStreet) - While the trading week that includes Independence Day promises to be a slow one, one company reporting earnings caught my attention.
Constellation Brands (STZ) is anticipated to report first-quarter earnings before the market opens on Tuesday, July 2.
Wall Street is expecting a brew like that from the corresponding period last year, with profits of 40 cents per share. Estimates range from 33 up to 47 cents per share. I think Constellation will have to beat by at least two cents, or the market will be disappointed. In other words, if the company doesn't post 42 cents or more, anticipate share price weakness.
Constellation makes and markets alcoholic beverages, with a portfolio across the wine, spirits and imported beer categories. Well-known brands include: Corona Extra, Pacifico, St. Pauli Girl, Black Velvet and Fleischmann's. Shares closed on Friday at $52.12.STZ data by YCharts
When I started college, um, I mean after I turned 21, I couldn't help but notice posters and neon signs featuring the St. Pauli Girl, and the marketing worked. I haven't drunk a St. Pauli Girl beer in decades, but at least I tried the beer and I still remember the posters. What's more impressive than the St. Pauli Girl to a college freshman? A stock more than doubling over the last year, signaling the best is yet to come. After Constellation reached a new 52-week high about a month ago near $55, it retraced and found support at $50. STZ Gross Profit Quarterly data by YCharts
The stock's price appreciation is running into headwinds from revenue concerns, as well as potential investors noticing that stocks don't normally travel straight up for long without taking a break. They'll want to focus on revenue and company statements at Tuesday's post-announcement conference call to evaluate Constellation's revenue-increasing ability.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV