3 Buy-Rated Dividend Stocks: CVI, CIM, RDS.A
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." CVR Energy (NYSE: CVI) shares currently have a dividend yield of 6.20%. CVR Energy, Inc., through its subsidiaries, engages in petroleum refining and nitrogen fertilizer manufacturing activities in the United States. The company operates through two segments, Petroleum and Nitrogen Fertilizer. The company has a P/E ratio of 7.40 The average volume for CVR Energy has been 595,000 shares per day over the past 30 days CVR Energy has a market cap of $4.2 billion and is part of the energy industry Shares are down 3.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday TheStreet Ratings rates CVR Energy as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 10.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 19.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 755.17% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 99.40% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, CVI should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- CVR ENERGY INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, CVR ENERGY INC increased its bottom line by earning $4.33 versus $3.94 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.79 versus $4.33).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 754.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$25.20 million to $165.03 million.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, CVR ENERGY INC's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full CVR Energy Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts