Don't Leave Money to Your Kids. It Won't Last.
By Rick Kahler
NEW YORK (AdviceIQ) -- As inherited money passes from one generation to the next, it is treasured and nurtured, right? Not at all. Often it is frittered away.
"I've never seen money passed from one generation to another in a manner that actually benefited the recipient." When a psychologist said this to me several years ago, I was dumbfounded.
Many parents scrimp, save and sacrifice so they can "leave something to the kids," with the intention of doing them good. It's hard to accept that inheritances may actually do harm instead. Most of us have expectations about bequests that are far more optimistic.
I used to hold several beliefs about inheritances. One was that leaving money to your children is a loving thing to do. Another was that parents should always leave their money to their children. A third was that anyone who received an inheritance would invest it wisely, using only the earnings to improve their lives.Lost Inheritances, a Wall Street Journal story published online March 7. According to this article, 70% of those who get an inheritance of any size spend it all in their lifetimes. For the 30% with something left to pass on, 70% of their kids also blow everything they get. That means by the end of the third generation, only one-tenth of the money originally passed down is left.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV