The Advertising vs. Marketing Smackdown: What's Your Major?
Marketing majors may also stand to have the most fun, says Michelle Tennant Nicholson, chief creative officer at publicity firm Wasabi.
"I think Darrin from the TV series "Bewitched" had the most fun, especially when his mother-in-law Endora involved her magic," Nicholson says. "I'd have to vote for marketing professionals as having the most day-to-day job enjoyment. I mean, come on. Social media today is too much fun, is it not? Interacting directly with an audience is so exciting."
When it comes to earning power, Nicholson says that a major in advertising may be too restrictive.
"I've seen this industry transition from typewriters to Twitter. In today's digitally driven world, you need to have proficiency in earned, owned and paid media to really advise your clients well around marketing strategy. Advertising only limits earning potential, from my perspective," she says.In the right company, the right marketing job can land you a ton of money, Harbron says. "A top-class marketing director in the U.S. can earn up to $150,000 to $200,000 per year, and that's in a medium-sized company. There are various types of marketing though, and for this top-dollar amount, you'll be working your socks off."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV