"Edmunds.com analyst Jessica Caldwell said auto sales had strong momentum throughout the first half of 2013. "Within the last month we saw a slowing stock market and a stalled unemployment recovery, but the automotive market continues to shine through it all," Caldwell said, in a prepared statement.
For June, Kelley Blue Book estimated sales gains of 15% for Nissan (NSANY), 13% for Ford, 8% for Chrysler, 7% for Honda (HMC), 4% for Toyota (TM) and 1% for GM (F) with a 4% loss for Hyundai. Volkswagensales were flat.
Kelley Blue Book said that Nissan cut prices on seven models in May and that Hyundai "faces production capacity constraints and competition from newer product offerings from other manufacturers, especially in the mid-size car segment."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV