ST. LOUIS, June 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Peabody Energy Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gregory H. Boyce today praised China's leadership for taking steps to accelerate the use of emissions control technologies across the nation's expanding industrial sector while increasing the coal use that has fueled the nation's stunning economic development.
China's State Council recently announced new measures to address urban air quality through rapid upgrades to pollution controls and more stringent enforcement actions, while continuing to use more coal for electricity generation, conversion to other fuels and chemicals, and steel production. China is the world's largest coal consumer and has led major economies with unprecedented economic growth in recent decades.
"I commend China's cabinet for increasing the intensity of efforts to deploy modern emissions control technologies," said Boyce following a keynote address in Canberra to Australian government and business leaders on the role of 21st Century coal. "The approach announced by China's leaders has proven successful in the United States in the past, allowing substantial improvement in emissions from coal-fueled generation in recent decades. It addresses air quality challenges – while increasing coal use to fuel economic growth – through greater investment in and use of technology that is widely available."
The Chinese government's measures are consistent with energy policy recommendations made by Peabody at the 2013 China Development Forum (CDF) Economic Summit in Beijing. Invited to present economic development ideas to Chinese leaders at the forum, Boyce advanced the following three recommendations:
- China should continue to assert its right to drive economic and social development and the betterment of the lives of its people though the use of the country's abundant coal resources.
- China should follow the model proven in the United States for solving urban air quality challenges, by increasing the intensity of efforts to deploy modern emissions control technology.
- China should adopt the principles of 21st Century coal by implementing the highest standards for worker safety, resource recovery, land restoration and water use in its mining sector.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV