Cramer Quick Take: I'm Bullish on Second-Half GDP
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- After the disappointing GDP revision down to 1.8%, TheStreet's Jim Cramer and Debra Borchardt discussed where we might see growth accelerate in the second half of 2013.
The effects of the sequestration may finally be weighing on U.S. growth, which was evident when the third revision to the first-quarter GDP data showed a fall to anemic levels, below 2%.
Borchardt added that many people are depending on utility spending to increase GDP, which is a little bit "scary" if we're hoping increased costs to consumers is what's going to get us higher.
Although the Federal Reserve didn't say it was raising rates, that didn't stop mortgage rates from ripping higher, now above 4%.According to Cramer, this will be bad for the housing market since it may keep potential buyers on the sidelines. However, he expects that market to rebound in three to six months, which should positively affect second-quarter GDP. Before the market took a small breather, which has pumped life back into equities, we saw 10-year Treasury yields jump to 2.5% and it's still going to take investors a little while to sort everything out, Cramer said. He added the market will be especially judgmental of the June and July economic data, specifically in the housing industry, where the effect of reduced mortgage refinancing will be under the microscope. Cramer still expects to see 2.5% to 3% in GDP growth for the second half of 2013, saying he believes in Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke and anticipates a strong fourth-quarter housing market. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV