NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Will BlackBerry (BBRY) disgust the bulls or send bears into a short squeeze frenzy Friday when it reports earnings? TheStreet's Jim Cramer and Debra Borchardt are telling investors how to play it.
Based on some channel checks, BlackBerry is selling a ton of phones. But based on others, the company only has empty stores. So what do investors do with a stock that is clearly going to move big tomorrow?
"It cries out for an options strategy," Cramer said, regarding the heightened volatility and 30% short float.
He added that investors are going to experience a similar event next quarter when BlackBerry again reports earnings, because the company hasn't had a full quarter in North America to sell its new phones.While bulls argue the company is the next Samsung and bears say it's the next Palm, Cramer asks: Why can't it be in-between? At $12, the stock has found substantial support and at $15 substantial resistance. Because of this, Cramer says that by purchasing call options, traders can limit their downside while taking advantage of a move to the upside. "The risk [to] reward is bad up here at $15," he added, "I would not own the common, [it's] way too dangerous." Cramer concluded that while he's not a fan of the stock, he would certainly be a buyer around $12 again, due to the favorable risk to reward opportunity. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV