Wealthy Seek Holistic Advice --Yet Current Advisor Handles Less than Half of their Assets
By Hal M. Bundrick
NEW YORK (MainStreet)--Nine out ten wealthy investors want to work with an advisor who considers their entire financial picture, yet their current advisor handles just 43% of their assets. A new study released by Charles Schwab reports that one-third of respondents say their desire for investment advice has increased in the past year. That sound you hear? Financial advisors picking up the phone to call their clients.
Advice and the Affluent Investor: A Study of Attitudes and Behavior, surveyed more than 1,000 affluent Americans who receive some form of professional financial advice. Fully three-quarters of those surveyed said they are most confident making investment decisions when they collaborate with their investment professional, while one-third admitted they feel that same level of confidence when going it alone.
- 54% of all respondents prefer to pick and choose specific areas for which they will pay for advice, while 46% prefer to pay one fee for advice that addresses their entire portfolio.
- 52% want a solution that has worked successfully for other people like themselves, while 48% want an investment professional who provides a custom solution for their unique situations.
- 53% want to work with an investment professional who makes changes to their portfolios when they are needed -- based on the market and their needs -- while 47% prefer someone who lets them know when they should consider making changes to their portfolio, along with the rationale for those changes.
- 72% say they just want someone who can answer simple questions about investment choices, and a similar number (70%) say they want to have access to a team of professional advisors with expertise in taxes and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
- Half of the respondents said they feel investing is a chore, and only 11% identify themselves as advanced investors. More than two-thirds feel they have intermediate skills in investing while 21% identify themselves as having beginner skills.
- While receiving advice and guidance from an advisor, most (59%) say they make all of their own decisions, while 38% preferred someone to make investment decisions for them "without getting very involved."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV