4 Hold-Rated Dividend Stocks: RRD, AEC, NS, BGCP
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company (NASDAQ: RRD) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.50%. R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company provides integrated communication solutions to private and public sectors worldwide. The average volume for R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company has been 1,815,800 shares per day over the past 30 days R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company has a market cap of $2.5 billion and is part of the diversified services industry Shares are up 53.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday TheStreet Ratings rates R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and increase in stock price during the past year. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- RRD's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 9.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- DONNELLEY (R R) & SONS CO's earnings per share declined by 28.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, DONNELLEY (R R) & SONS CO reported poor results of -$3.61 versus -$0.73 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.63 versus -$3.61).
- The gross profit margin for DONNELLEY (R R) & SONS CO is rather low; currently it is at 22.00%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 1.06% trails that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$95.80 million or 84.23% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.