After a stunning second-quarter report, during which management raised guidance, $2 per share was never seen or heard from again. Sirius had bigger fish to fry. Investors still remind me of my $1.65 prediction, even though I was off by only 8%. But my biggest gaffe was missing the ride up to $3 and to the $3.60 level. Essentially, since reaching $1.80, the stock has more than doubled.
What can I say? I blew it.
Today, Sirius exemplifies a tale of two companies. Karmazin, who was credited with merging two satellite companies and almost killing them both, is no longer running the ship. Liberty is now in full control of the company. Sirius is no longer bleeding subscribers and is now posting record numbers for revenue, cash flow growth. And, as expected, management has said "the best is yet to come."
Even so, I don't expect that I will ever re-establish a position in this stock, whether long or short. There are still too many unknowns.Apple (AAPL) has entered Sirius' domain on the dashboard. I expect that at some point both Microsoft (MSFT) and Google (GOOG) will follow suit. It will be challenging for Sirius to compete. But I wouldn't bet against Sirius' ability to survive. It's been through much worse. At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV