Despite the bearish overtones in the market right now, the financial sector has shown leadership over the course of the last month and change. And in July, one of the best-in-breed financials is big bank Wells Fargo ( WFC). Here's how to trade it.
Wells has spent the last month and change tracking sideways, forming a bullish price setup called an ascending triangle. The ascending triangle is formed by a horizontal resistance level above shares (at $41.50, in this case) and uptrending support to the downside. Basically, as WFC bounces in between those two technically important price levels, it's getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakout above resistance. When that breakout happens, we've got a buy signal.That's true regardless of what's going on in the broad market. Wells Fargo is going to tip traders off early with momentum -- our go-to momentum gauge, 14-day RSI, has been in a shallow downtrend since the triangle started. Expect a breakout higher in RSI right before the breakout in price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV