MEMPHIS, Tenn., June 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- International Paper published its 2012 Sustainability Report, revealing progress against its voluntary goals including certified fiber use, greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reductions, and water quality improvement.
In 2011, International Paper announced 12 environmental and social goals that it planned to achieve by 2020. Using a 2010 baseline, the company is reporting goal progress that includes:
- A 10 percent absolute reduction in on-site fossil fuel GHG emissions. This puts the company halfway toward its 2020 goal.
- A 15 percent reduction in criteria pollutant emissions through energy savings and fuel mix changes. This significant reduction exceeds the company's overall 2020 reduction target.
- Achieving a 27 percent reduction in oxygen depleting substances in water released from mill operations, which exceeds the company's 2020 water quality goal.
- Boosting purchases of third party certified fiber by 18 percent, exceeding IP's 15 percent goal for 2020.
- A 30 percent drop in life-changing injuries and fatalities between 2010 and 2012 as IP strives for an accident-free workplace.
"Last year we announced 12 voluntary goals to help focus our sustainability efforts. This report details progress we have achieved," said Chairman and CEO John Faraci. "By pursuing transparent goals and establishing new relationships with external stakeholders, International Paper is demonstrating a commitment to continuous improvement."The report also highlights groundbreaking collaborations with prominent sustainability organizations including the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), and the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. Collaborations for 2012 and early 2013 include:
- Joining the CEO-led World Business Council for Sustainable Development and its Forest Solutions Group where IP will provide global business leadership in expanding sustainable forestry.
- A major donation to and collaboration with the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation to create the "Forestland Stewards" initiative.
- Joining WWF's Global Forest and Trade Network in North America and Brazil.
- Joining the U.S. Department of Energy Better Plants Program, which commits International Paper to reduce energy intensity by 15 percent over 10 years at all U.S. facilities.
- Collaboration with the Dogwood Alliance – a non-profit working to improve how southern U.S. forests are managed – on a forest mapping pilot project in the southeastern U.S.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV