A new Walgreens store is being developed adjacent to the Johns Hopkins East Baltimore medical campus, which will offer new health and wellness programs and services for students and staff, as well as residents of the surrounding community. The store marks a significant expansion of a unique collaboration between Johns Hopkins Medicine (JHM) and Walgreens (NYSE: WAG) (Nasdaq: WAG) first announced in May 2011, to collaborate and explore the development of new models for improving overall patient care.
The new Walgreens “Well Experience” store will offer health services, as well as healthy food options and a full selection of other daily living products. In addition to its pharmacy, the store will bring other health care resources to the community with a new Take Care Clinic, staffed by board-certified nurse practitioners, marking the first Walgreens in-store retail clinic in the state of Maryland.
The store will be located at Science and Technology Park adjacent to the Johns Hopkins medical campus. The park is being developed by Forest City - New East Baltimore Partnership. Construction is expected to begin in July with the planned opening in late November.
“This is a significant next step in our relationship, leveraging the clinical expertise of Johns Hopkins Medicine and Walgreens expansive health care resources to create a retail hub for community-based care,” said Kermit Crawford, Walgreens president of pharmacy, health and wellness. “Our pharmacy and Take Care Clinic will provide an environment for collaborative health care innovation, while also providing greater access to health care services for the Johns Hopkins community, students, employees and patients. This new venture is another way in which we’re advancing community pharmacy to help more people get, stay and live well.”With an emphasis on population health and wellness, the Walgreens store plans to introduce a number of programs in collaboration with Johns Hopkins Medicine faculty, including:
- Student health services – clinical, pharmacy and retail products and services
- Take Care Clinic – with extended evening and weekend hours, providing assessment, treatment and management of certain chronic conditions, as well as care for minor illness and injuries, immunizations, preventive health screenings/counseling and more
- Chronic disease education and awareness programs
- Smoking cessation programs
- HIV testing – part of a Walgreens program supporting people living with HIV/AIDS, offering accessible health and wellness guidance and testing programs/services
- Immunizations, including those for travel