The former Sony-Ericsson CEO is on the BlackBerry board. This ex-CEO is also a big backer of another company working closely on the "Internet of Things." A few months ago, BlackBerry decided to pull out of Japan entirely, perhaps setting the stage to return with Sony as a partner. Finally, Sony has already indicated that it would support three mobile OSs: Android, Microsoft (MSFT) and another. BlackBerry is the next most popular. Therefore, BlackBerry could likely benefit from this kind of licensing relationship.
I'm not sure that Papageorgiou is correct that BlackBerry will ship four million BB7s this quarter. This won't affect his EPS estimate, though, since he's expecting no contribution from these phones. If it is light, though, it would mean it would be unlikely the company could hit $4.1 billion for the quarter.
However, I agree with Papageorgiou much more than I disagree with him on this quarter. Some of the other sell-side reports on BlackBerry make bold predictions on device sales but have a difficult time explaining where they came up with that number and how it trickles through to lead to an EPS estimate.Papageorgiou may be way "out of consensus" on his call for BlackBerry this quarter, but I expect him to be closer to the mark than anyone else. At the time of publication the author was long BBRY. Follow @ericjackson This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV