Gringo Retirement: Living Abroad in Economic Refuge
"Our primary financial motivation for retiring abroad was to achieve a lower cost of living in a tropical setting," said David Wright, 65, who moved with his wife, Elizabeth, 52, to Ranchito Village, an expatriate enclave near Corozal, Belize.
For Americans retiring overseas, places in Latin America and the Caribbean are an economic haven for stretching a dollar and paying less in healthcare costs.
"The strategy is to move somewhere that counts, and the cost of living in Latin America is a fraction of the cost of the U.S," said Dan Prescher, special projects editor at International Living, a publication that focuses on international retirement.The rising cost of healthcare coverage and limited savings other than home equity are pressuring many baby boomers to consider retirement abroad to lower their living expenses. 45% of American workers have a pension or 401(k) plan, according to Center for Retirement Research at Boston College. Around one-third of U.S. retirees receive at least 90% of their retirement income from Social Security benefits. The average annual Social Security benefits for a recent U.S. retiree provides around a modest $15,000 a year. For stretching a fixed income, a rising number of those Social Security checks are going abroad to expatriates settled in retirement enclaves in Latin America and the Caribbean. "You can live almost anywhere in Latin America on $2,000 [a month], but we see some people do it for a lot less on $600 or $700," Prescher said. "But, they're living a different type of lifestyle amongst the locals."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV