Pennsylvania State Police Looking For Four-Legged Recruits For Mounted Patrol
HARRISBURG, Pa., June 26, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Pennsylvania State Police is looking for a few good horses.
The force's 25-horse mounted patrol unit is seeking donations of horses to be used statewide for searches, crowd control, security, and patrol operations of remote areas.
" Pennsylvania troopers have a long history of patrolling from horseback," Pennsylvania State Police Commissioner Frank Noonan said. "Since 1905, state police ranks have included horses – and since then, with all the advanced technology, the horse is still a reliable tool in police work."
Horses must be geldings between the ages of 5 and 15 years old. The horse has to stand at least 16 hands tall – 5 foot 4 inches– at the shoulder, but less than 18 hands tall. Drafts and draft-crosses are preferred. Thoroughbreds and other "hot bloods" are less desirable."The horses are effective in crowds because they elevate troopers, enabling them to see over people's heads," Noonan said. "Mounted troopers also participate in parades, demonstrations and other public relations activities based on availability." The animals must have quiet, sound dispositions and be free of serious stable vices. Horses will be accepted on a 90-day trial basis to determine their suitability. A veterinary examination will also be performed. The Pennsylvania State Police maintains a stable at the Academy in Hershey and rely solely on donations for animals. "Horses have been donated over the years from diverse backgrounds - some were racehorses, others were family pets," Noonan said. To make a donation or get more information, please contact Corporal Michael Funk, at 717-533-9111, ext. 321 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Media contacts: Maria A. Finn or Tpr. Adam Reed, 717-783-5556 SOURCE Pennsylvania State Police Department
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV