Sector Snap: Gold
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Shares of gold miners fell Wednesday, as the price of the precious metal dropped to its lowest point in three years.
The tumble came amid a rise in stock markets, boosted by increased investor optimism. Investors tend to buy gold when they're nervous about returns in other investments.
In afternoon trading the price of gold fell $45.80, or 3.6 percent, to $1,229.30 an ounce.
In a note to investors Tuesday, Credit Suisse analyst Anita Soni said the future of gold prices remains uncertain. Because of that and other factors, she cut her rating on Barrick Gold Corp. to "Neutral" from "Outperform" and reduced her price target by $16 to $20.Meanwhile, the investment bank's Canadian arm cut its gold price predictions for the next three years. Here's how shares of some gold miners traded Wednesday: â¿¿ Barrick, down $1.16, or 7.2 percent, to $14.95. â¿¿ Seabridge Gold Inc., down 91 cents, or 9.7 percent, to $8.45. â¿¿ Goldcorp Inc., down 88 cents, or 3.8 percent, to $22.56. â¿¿ Kinross Gold Corp., down 19 cents, or 3.9 percent, to $4.63. â¿¿ Newmont Mining Corp., down $1.62, or 5.6 percent, to $27.31. â¿¿ NovaGold Resources Inc., down 10 cents, or 4.9 percent, to $1.94.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV