Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS) was selected today as a recipient of an Environmental Merit Award by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), recognizing the company for outstanding environmental work and significant contributions toward preserving and protecting natural resources.
The award acknowledges Hasbro’s environmental sustainability achievements, including:
- Improving Product-to-Packaging Ratio: In April 2012, Hasbro announced plans to reduce materials used in product packaging for many of its highly popular global brands.
- Eliminating PVC in Packaging: Hasbro has eliminated polyvinyl chloride (PVC) from new product packaging in 2013, and will continue to reduce PVC in all packaging until completely eliminated.
- Increasing Recycled Content: Hasbro exceeded its 2011 goal to derive at least 75 percent of paper and board packaging from recycled material, or from sources that practice sustainable forest management. By 2015, Hasbro plans to increase that target to 90 percent usage of these materials and sources for all its paperboard packaging and in-box game content.
- Using Materials Responsibly: Hasbro’s owned and operated factory in North America uses vegetable-based printing inks and aqueous coatings in its printing processes for game and puzzle components, boxes and instructions. Additionally, the factory has received green certification for its printing processes by the nonprofit Sustainable Green Printing Partnership (SGP).
- Sourcing Paper Sustainably: Since 2011, Hasbro has been guided by a robust paper sourcing policy, providing guidelines for suppliers regarding sustainable paper sourcing to help ensure that paper used in Hasbro products aligns with the company's commitment to environmental sustainability. Additionally, both of its owned and operated factories have achieved certification from recognized certifying bodies like the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
- Reducing Waste: Hasbro sends zero waste to landfill from its North American manufacturing processes and the company is committed to waste reduction across its facilities.
“EPA applauds Hasbro, along with all the people and organizations being recognized today as leaders in helping create a cleaner environment and healthier communities,” said Curt Spalding, regional administrator of EPA New England. “An environmental merit award is the highest honor EPA New England can give to recognize excellent environmental work throughout this region."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV