The notice follows SCE’s announcement on June 7 to permanently retire San Onofre Units 2 and 3. The nuclear plant’s workforce of 1,500 will be reduced to 400 next year as preparations proceed to decommission the 2,200-megawatt plant.
The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act notice issued Monday signals that non-union employees affected by the workforce reduction will be laid off in a little over 60 days. In addition, SCE will work with the Utility Workers Union of America and the International Brotherhood of Electric Workers through the collective bargaining process on transition plans for the union employees affected by the shutdown.
“The premature shutdown of San Onofre is very unfortunate,” said Pete Dietrich, SCE’s senior vice president and chief nuclear officer. “We have an extraordinary team of men and women. We appreciate their years of dedicated service and will continue to extend to them the utmost respect and consideration.”He noted the company will work to ensure a fair process for the transition, including a job fair for displaced workers. For more information about SCE, follow us on Twitter and on Facebook. About Southern California Edison An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, serving a population of nearly 14 million via 4.9 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV