ATLANTA, June 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Business owners are feeling significantly better about the economy and their businesses than a year ago, according to a survey by SunTrust Banks, Inc. (NYSE: STI). Sixty-five percent of leaders at companies with annual revenue of $10-100 million indicate they feel better about their company's financial well-being than last year. This is in contrast to study findings in 2012 when only 38 percent felt their companies were in a better financial state than the previous year.
Current financial priorities cited by business leaders include increasing revenue and profitability, reducing expenses, expanding market share and increasing customer satisfaction. To achieve these goals, companies are investing in new technology (59 percent), managing cash flow more effectively (51 percent), expanding into new domestic markets (49 percent) and working to hire/retain full-time employees (48 percent).
"Many businesses are expressing increased confidence with capital investment, hiring and expansion plans," said Tom Kuntz, SunTrust's Commercial & Business Banking executive.In a comparable survey of small businesses, those with revenue of $1-10 million, 62 percent said their company's financial well-being is better than last year. Thirty percent indicated their company's financial well-being is about the same, and only eight percent about said they feel worse about their company's financial well-being than a year ago. Top challenges cited by small businesses include an increase in operating costs (52 percent), new or evolving government regulation (38 percent), delayed payments from customers (36 percent), and changes to benefits they can offer employees (35 percent). Evolving technology, increased competition and changes to the tax structure also impacted the management of about a third of these small businesses this past year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV