NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Smith & Wesson (SWHC) reported bull's eye earnings on Tuesday. From an investor point of view, it's hard to ask much more of the management team that has effectively turned the Springfield Company into a money printing press.
The fourth quarter ending April 30 resulted in doubling net income to $25.2 million from a year earlier. Smith & Wesson hit the target with a record $178.7 million in revenue. Amazingly, the profits would have been greater if the company could keep up with incoming orders. Smith & Wesson salespeople may have the best job in the world right now.
Demand for product isn't waning, and production capacity is the only bottleneck based on comments made during the earnings conference call.
CEO, President James Debney stated:
"...gains over the year were driven by strong consumer demand for our products, which we believe is due to heightened awareness paired with our ability to significantly increase our manufacturing capacity. Full year sales growth of nearly 43% was driven in large part by our increased M&P production. Demand remains strong across our product portfolio...
"While we significantly increased our production capacity in fiscal 2013, we remained capacity constrained as we have in the past five quarters. We plan to continue intelligently increasing capacity in fiscal 2014.
"...Sales for the quarter rose 37.6% year-over-year. Gross margins in the high 30s continue to expand ..."While it's true I own Smith & Wesson (SWHC) and Sturm, Ruger (RGR) firearms, it's a mistake to believe I'm bullish either stock as a result. In my article Canon Continues to Lose Focus I go into detail of why I don't use personal preferences in my stock buying decision process.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV