All this is done through a retirement account, called a SEP IRA, and so I don't think about tax implications and just go for the capital gains.
Whenever I have any stake in any investment I write about for TheStreet.com, in that SEP IRA, it's disclosed at the bottom of the piece. You may see that I am long on Google (GOOG). If by long, you mean I own 10 shares, then I'm pretty long. I doubt Larry Page stays awake nights worrying about me.
I am not an expert. I'm an ordinary investor, like you. When the market goes up, I make money. When the market goes down, I lose money. At one point, in 2009, my IRA was worth just $140,000, instead of the $220,000 I'd pushed into it over the years. Now I'm more than whole. Charlie says I'm ahead by $33,000, but the memory of 2009 lingers - had I panicked I might be retiring with a tin cup in my hand.(CBS), I pushed all my money into mutual funds, because my employer said it was the ethical thing to do, and I feared losing my job if I didn't do the ethical thing. One of those mutual funds tracked the S&P 500, and is run by my bookie. The Schwab S&P 500 Index (SWPPX) is up by 16%, but compounded that's $15,000. I don't think about it, I let others think about it, and I think it's my best bet of all. Except, perhaps, for Aunt Till's bond. Up the rebels. At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL, SCHW, IBM, COST, GOOG, and SWPPX. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV