NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I have been trading stocks since I was 13 years old, in 1968.
The first trade was memorable. I bought $200, 10 shares, in a computer timesharing company called Datamation Services. For me, it was a very big deal.
I did it through a broker, using a custodial account, and when it got to $80/share, I said sell. Unfortunately it was a custodial account -- the broker told my parents not to sell. They didn't, and the company soon disappeared, taking my $200 with it.
I kept the certificate as a souvenir, alongside a 1921 Irish bond from my great-aunt, hand-signed by Eamonn DeValera himself. As she was fond of saying, after a few drinks, "up the rebels."Since then I have had a great fondness for discount brokers, the kind that let me do my own thinking and initiate my own trades. I haven't always been right, of course. For one thing, I've managed to lose a lot of money on what's now Apple Inc. (AAPL). I bought into it in the 1990s, while it was wobbling from one CEO to another. Soon after Steve Jobs returned, I got tired of waiting for gains and cashed in my chips, which is one reason I still work for a living. (SCHW) my "bookie," and when I decide to buy something, tell friends I'm placing a "bet" with "Charlie." He takes a very modest "vig," under $10, even when I'm betting thousands, and I never have to wait for my winnings -- the teller window is always open. My best trade ever is probably Intel (INTC), which I picked up around the time I bought my first Apple shares. Intel doubled, split, and so I sold 100, my original stake. It doubled again, split again, and I sold 100. By the end of the decade, I had thousands of dollars in profits and 600 shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV