NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Everyone seems to be freaking out about this "correction." Although the S&P 500 is down about 7% from its highs, it still has a double-digit return since the start of the year.
Also, when you compare U.S. equity markets to other asset classes such as fixed income and emerging-markets, the selloff has been extremely orderly.
China was down more than 5% the other day. The 10-year Treasury note has plummeted in the last month. Can you imagine the pandemonium if the Dow Jones or S&P 500 was off by 5% in a single session?
Emerging markets have also seen down days of 2%-3% or more over the past month.Let's face it, our selloff was both anticipated and calm compared to other investment areas. In fact, with a little protection, you could have profited on the downside, while staying long equities over the past couple of weeks. (V) and Mastercard (MA). Both stocks have performed incredibly well this year, with Visa up 17.6% and Mastercard up 14.5%. The following table shows just how strong its performance has been compared with the exchange-traded fund that tracks the S&P 500, the SPDR S&P 500 ETF: Wow, talk about monster returns. Although the broader market has performed exceptionally well considering all of the drama that we've experience in the previous three years, Visa and Mastercard have crushed those returns. Of the two, Visa underperformed over the three-year time frame, yet still tripled the returns of the SPY. Why stop now?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV