Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) ranks number one in overall performance among U.S. health insurers based on a review of 2012 claims-payment data conducted by athenahealth , Inc. (NASDAQ: ATHN), a leading provider of cloud-based practice-management, Electronic Health Record and care-coordination services to medical groups.
Humana is the highest performing payer in all of PayerView, which seeks to provide an objective, quantitative measure of providers’ “ease of doing business” with individual payers by aggregating the activity of 40,000 health care providers, reviewing 83 million transactions and $15 billion in charges.
In addition, Humana also maintained its first place ranking from 2011 for eligibility accuracy. Humana’s eligibility response matches claim adjudication information better than any other payers. This means it includes more accurate member plan benefit information than other health plans, saving members and providers time and hassle.
“We are pleased to see Humana rise to the number one spot and hope that more payers use PayerView to inform their own initiatives to improve the provider experience,” said Todd Rothenhaus, Chief Medical Officer for athenahealth. “For eight years now, PayerView has reported on how payers rank in areas of financial performance, administrative performance and transaction efficacy so providers know the best and most challenging payers with which to partner.”athenahealth PayerView Humana highlights include:
- Humana had the best performance for days in accounts receivable (DAR) among major payers and national commercial payers, representing a 12 percent improvement from last year.
- Humana was one of the only payers that decreased the provider collection burden.
- Humana had the highest ranked electronic remittance advice (ERA) transparency rate among major payers.
- Humana performed well in new metrics that will factor into next year’s PayerView rankings, tying for first place in enrollment efficiency among major payers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV