NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Deep-value situations sometimes take a great deal of time and patience to play out. In this fast-paced, up-to-the-minute information-driven market, many investors don't have that level of patience, especially when it comes to companies with little or no analyst or financial media coverage. That's often where there are great opportunities, but it is difficult to get relevant information.
Tecumseh (TECUA, TECUB), a poster child for patience, is a company you've probably never heard of. If you have, it's probably due to the company's small engine business, which it sold back in 2007.
Today, the company is primarily a manufacturer of hermetically sealed compressors used in air conditioners and freezers for both residential and commercial applications. This is a business that suffered during the last recession as demand fell. Revenue has been on a downward path for several years, in part due to the sale of businesses, but also due to poor economic conditions.
Shares fell to about $3 in May 2012, following yet another quarterly loss, but have been on a tear ever since; they are trading at a two year-plus high of $10.55. Last month, the company, which generally been tight-lipped at least as long as I've been a shareholder, held an investor update call, which was a long time coming.
TECUA data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV