TARRYTOWN, N.Y., June 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Summer may mean healthier diets for many, but a new survey finds that Americans are missing some key facts when it comes to making healthy summer food choices. FiberChoice ® and celebrity dietitian Tanya Zuckerbrot, MS, RD, author and creator of The F-Factor Diet, have teamed up to offer simple tips for healthy summer eating.
"The foods of summer make it easy to get more of the fiber that's essential for a healthy diet," said Zuckerbrot. "We all know we need to get more fiber, but very few know what that means. Eating more seasonal fruits and vegetables can help, but even those with the best intentions often fall short of the daily recommended intake."
While more than half (51percent) of those surveyed expressed interest in making healthy food choices during summer and 68 percent noted that they tend to eat more fruits and vegetables in summer, nearly half of Americans were still concerned about making healthy food choices.Also, nearly two out of three respondents (62 percent) did not know the daily fiber intake recommended by the American Dietetic Association (25-38 grams per day), and half (50 percent) had no idea what their daily intake currently was. In fact, about one in five (22 percent) respondents said they currently get fiber in their diet by eating lots of fish, which is not a source of fiber. According to Zuckerbrot, adding more fiber to the diet is easily achieved and she offers these simple tips:
- Fill up on fiber: Fiber has zero calories, which is why high-fiber foods are naturally lower in calories. Fiber adds bulk to food too, so eating high fiber foods like asparagus, broccoli, raspberries, and snap peas fill you up without filling you out.
- Enjoy seasonal fruits and vegetables: Take advantage of the fruits and vegetables that are abundant during the summer and at their peak of flavor and nutrition. Discover new foods and simple, delicious ways to prepare and serve them – or enjoy them whole.
- Shop for freshness: Plan meals and snacks in advance and then shop for the freshest fruits and vegetables that you will eat right away. And don't be afraid to buy them frozen (the rest of the year) because fruits and veggies are packed frozen in the field when they are super-ripe.
- Bridge the fiber gap with supplements: Even for the healthiest eaters, getting the daily recommended intake of fiber can be challenging. Consider incorporating FiberChoice® into the daily routine to help maintain good digestive health.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV