CARLSBAD, Calif., June 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Life Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: LIFE) announces that its Applied Biosystems® 7500 Fast Dx Real-Time PCR instrument is suitable for use with the CDC Novel Coronavirus 2012 Real-time RT-PCR Assay, which has received Emergency Use Authorization for detection in patient specimens of the novel Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV). To date the virus has been found in Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), France, Germany, Italy, Tunisia and the United Kingdom. Globally, since September 2012, the World Health Organization (WHO) has been informed of a total of 64 laboratory-confirmed cases of the infection with MERS-CoV, including 38 deaths.
Additionally, the CDC Novel Coronavirus 2012 Assay can be performed using Life's SuperScript III One-Step qRT-PCR reagent kit. The Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) Assay is intended to quickly monitor the spread of the pathogen and thwart a potential pandemic. To support this global need, Life Technologies is increasing production of its reagents and shipping them to labs around the world. This test has been authorized only for the diagnosis of Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) and not for the diagnosis of any other viruses or pathogens.
"We are working continually with our partners to improve capabilities, particularly tests that work more quickly and simply on more people," said Mark Stevenson, president and chief operating officer at Life Technologies. "Our technology aids public health labs around the globe to identify threats and develop rapid detection kits."
The test has been authorized by FDA under an Emergency Use Authorization for use by qualified laboratories. The CDC Novel Coronavirus 2012 Assay has not been FDA cleared or approved.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV