ARMONK, N.Y., June 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced strong client and business partner support for the new version of its DB2 database software, now generally available. The new software -- which represents the work of hundreds of IBM developers and researchers in labs around the world -- adds game-changing technology called BLU Acceleration that makes it simpler, more economical and dramatically faster to analyze massive amounts of data.
As organizations face a flood of data generated by computers, mobile devices, sensors and social networks, they're under unprecedented pressure to analyze much more data at faster speeds and lower costs. BLU Acceleration enables users to have much faster access to key information.
Among the companies worldwide that have experienced strong results from the new IBM software is the large northern Europe bank Handelsbanken. "We were very impressed with the performance and simplicity of BLU. We found that some queries achieved an almost 100 times speedup with literally no tuning. We were seeing average acceleration of 7.4 times, with some queries going from 28 seconds down to sub-second response time," said Lennart Henang, IT Architect at Handelsbanken.Yonyou Software Co. in Beijing is a leading enterprise management software and cloud service provider. According to Jianbo Liu, IT performance manager at Yonyou, "ERP and accounting software applications run a lot of reports. We used DB2 BLU Acceleration and saw our reports run faster by up to 40 times. This type of technology is an ideal fit for Yonyou's Big Data Analytic Services." "The feedback we're hearing from clients and partners illustrates that we're providing an innovative and powerful yet simple solution that can ingest huge amounts of data and apply insights from all this data at the point of impact," said Bob Picciano, General Manager, IBM Information Management. "IBM's work with beta clients and internal tests show significant speed and simplicity. In one example, BLU Acceleration was shown to be 10 times faster than another well-known in-memory database system. Some queries that took 7 minutes were shown to have dropped to 8 milliseconds, thanks to the innovations in BLU Acceleration." The new IBM DB2 10.5 with BLU Acceleration aims for analytics at the speed of thought with a range of made-in-IBM-Labs advances to significantly speed analytic workloads for databases and data warehouses:
- Dynamic in-memory technology that loads terabytes of data in Random Access Memory, which streamlines query workloads even when data sets exceed the size of the memory.
- "Actionable Compression," which allows analytics to be performed directly on compressed data without having to decompress it – some customers have reported as much as 10 times storage space savings.
- An innovative advance in database technology that allows DB2 to process both row-based and column-based tables simultaneously within the same system. This allows much faster analysis of vast amounts of data for faster decision-making.
- The simplicity to allow clients access to blazing-fast analytics transparently to their applications, without the need to develop a separate layer of data modeling or time consuming data warehouse tuning
- Integration with IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Dynamic Cubes to provide breakthrough speed and simplicity for reporting and analytics. Companies can analyze key facts and freely explore more information faster from multiple angles and perspectives to make more informed decisions.
- The ability to take advantage of both multi-core and single instruction multiple data (SIMD) features in IBM POWER and Intel x86 processors