5 Signs It's Time to Quit Your Job
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- If you're thinking of leaving your job, you're not alone. A bad boss or a troublesome client can make even the most patient employee want to pack up their desk and head home forever. Half of all employees in the finance industry feel ambivalent about or are trying to leave their positions in the next year, according to business consultancy CEB, and a majority of employees -- 70% -- are disengaged from the workplace, according to a recent Gallup poll.
Although some workplace issues improve after you've had time to step back and cool down, some can be negative enough to warrant handing in your resignation. Unfortunately, it's not always easy to know whether to stick it out and hope for change or start looking for something new. We checked in with experts who give us a breakdown on the top five signs it's time to quit your job and move on to greener pastures.
Your boss is emotionally abusive.
If everyone agrees your boss is unpleasant, you may just need to wait it out until he or she is forced to leave, says Mark Faust, CEO of Echelon Management International, a growth advisory firm. But if your boss is abusive, that's something that should never be tolerated."People who are naturally mean tend not to transform, whether it roots in the boss being bipolar or just a person of low character," Faust says. "If no opportunities exist to be moved away from the abusive boss, or if he or she is the owner of the company, bolt!" Employees should be careful not to interpret a one-time fight with a boss as emotional abuse, says Stephen A. Lowisz, chief executive of recruitment and research firm Qualigence International. "If you have a blowup with your boss for the first time, it's not really time to leave. But if this is a situation that is continuous, it may be time to run."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV