How the Rich Are Traveling in 2013
The top domestic travel destinations or dream destinations for this group include Hawaii, New York City and Napa Valley.
While it might seem surprising that New York is among the "dream" travel destinations for such a wealthy segment of the population, Yesawich says there is a distinct reason for this.
"What's happening is, as this population gets older, urban vacations become more popular," Yesawich says. "So when you talk to 20-, 30- and 40-year-olds, they recite beach destinations -- Florida, California. As you get older and your kids are gone, there is more interest in performing arts and those types of vacations."Another trend captured by the survey is the return to the use of traditional travel agents -- a habit that practically became extinct when sites such as Expedia (EXPE), Travelocity and Orbitz (OWW) became dominant. But about 18% of the wealthy survey participants used travel agents last year. And 23% intend to use travel agents during 2013. The expertise and insider's knowledge about destinations and accommodations that a travel agent delivers is a large part of this shift in behavior. About 59% of the wealthy survey respondents relied on travel agents to help select lodging, 48% used an agent to book a vacation package, 42% sought an agent for help selecting a destination and 37% used a travel agent to select a cruise line. "They are happy to pay a
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV