NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I was asked to pick my most foolish and most wise stock trades. Picking the most foolish stock trade is no easy task -- not because I don't have any, but because there are so many.
After 25 years of trying to beat the market I have made every mistake in the book, and invented a few new ones. In my mind I have made more foolish mistakes, but since Wall Street keeps score using dollars I will talk about one of my biggest losers.
Although it plays a significant role, the amount of money lost isn't the primary reason for feeling foolish. My initial and repeated lack of discipline, and how easily I could have avoided (or mitigated) the trade, forces my head lower in shame.
If you take anything away from this story, leave with a renewed sense of discipline, restraint and preparation in your investing. Because losing isn't about rotten luck, stock manipulators, the SEC, or anything/anyone else other than yourself.Here's the shortened highlight version of events.
Worst of Times: LehmanIn 2008, I was actively trading and by September I was enjoying an outstanding year, but I was also setting myself up for failure. After years of working on market timing entries and exits I felt I "finally made it" and it wasn't uncommon for me to make several trades a day over a week's time and not have any losers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV