Apollo Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: APOL) today reported financial results for the three and nine months ended May 31, 2013, with third quarter revenue of $946.8 million and diluted earnings per share of $0.71 per share, or $1.05 per share excluding special items.
“This is a time of extraordinary change in higher education. At Apollo Group we are creating a more nimble organization and reengineering our learning solutions to better support our student’s needs and meet the demands of employers. We are focused on making the necessary changes to deliver an improved set of educational offerings,” said Apollo Group Chief Executive Officer Greg Cappelli. “As education evolves, the transfer of knowledge and the acquisition of skills for working adults will be delivered in new and different ways. We are working directly with employers to define the skills students must bring to the workplace to more effectively compete in a global economy. The repositioning of higher education—also reflected in Apollo Group’s mission to create a more educated global workforce—has perhaps never been more important.”
Third Quarter 2013 Results of Operations
- Net revenue for the third quarter 2013 was $946.8 million, compared to $1.1 billion in the third quarter 2012.
- University of Phoenix Degreed Enrollment was 287,500, a 17.0% decrease from the prior year third quarter, and New Degreed Enrollment was 38,900, down 24.5% from third quarter 2012.
- Operating income was $132.0 million, compared to $221.4 million from the prior year third quarter.
- Income from continuing operations attributable to Apollo Group was $80.0 million, or $0.71 per share, compared to $131.4 million, or $1.11 per share in the third quarter 2012.
Results for the third quarter 2013 included restructuring and other charges of $63.1 million attributable to the Company’s restructuring activities. (See the reconciliation of GAAP financial information to non-GAAP financial information in the tables section of this press release for third quarter 2013 and 2012 special items.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV