MONTGOMERY, Ala., June 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon Wireless announced today that the company's 4G LTE network is now substantially complete in Alabama just two years after first launching in Montgomery and Mobile. Verizon's 4G LTE network now represents the vast majority of the company's 3G footprint that provides coverage across tens of thousands of square miles in Alabama, from Muscle Shoals to Mobile. Nationally, Verizon's 4G LTE network is currently available in 497 markets covering 287 million people.
Verizon's 4G LTE buildout in Alabama represents a significant and ongoing investment in the state. Since 2010, the company has invested more than $340 million on its network in the state, with a substantial portion of that supporting its 4G LTE rollout; Verizon's ongoing network investment in Alabama now totals more than $900 million since the company was formed in 2000.
To celebrate this network milestone, Verizon today announced "4Gs," or four grants, to Alabama organizations:
- A $10,000 Verizon Foundation grant to the Governor's Emergency Relief Fund recognizing Verizon's ongoing commitment to tornado recovery in the state;
- A $10,000 Verizon Foundation grant to Ready Alabama's Be Ready Camp to help inspire the next generation of first responders;
- A $30,000 HopeLine grant to the Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Violence in honor of HopeLine Hero First Lady Dianne Bentley;
- A $50,000 Request for Proposals from the Verizon Foundation seeking grant proposals from organizations offering domestic violence prevention programming.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts