Analysts have sales estimates all over the map, according to Borchardt, and BlackBerry will either have shorts panicking if it can beat those estimates or cheering if it misses them.
Redler pointed out that he hasn't seen too many BlackBerry phones being toted by consumers, and that the short float is particularly high, at 32%.
Conversely, with the stock trading in the mid-$14 range, there is substantial support and accumulation in mid-$13 to $14 range, he said.Redler added that if BlackBerry impresses investors, the stock will likely move quickly to the upside. Over $15 and shorts will be nervous. Over $16 and they may be forced to cover, which would really drive the stock higher, he said. However, the stock was trading in the single digits not all that long ago, meaning that disappointing figures coupled with high short interest could drive the stock down rather quickly. According to Redler, the best way to play the stock to the upside before earnings would be with a call spread, where traders buy a lower strike call option and sell a higher strike call option to reduce risk, while still participating in an upward move. He concluded that using options will limit the trader's risk to the premium paid. Whether you trade it before earnings or not, one thing is for certain: BlackBerry will be active on Friday. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV