Precious Metals Provide No Safe-Haven in Current Market
By Hal M. Bundrick
NEW YORK (MainStreet)--As the Fed signals a reduction of its bond-buying program, the effects are rippling through markets in virtually every asset class. The stock and bond markets have become even more volatile and finding a safe haven is elusive. Gold and other precious metals and commodities are no exception. According to Lipper, the Commodities Precious Metals (CMP) Funds classification suffered its twelfth consecutive week of net outflows for the period ending June 19. Assets under management for the group have fallen from a $103.7 billion apex at the top of the gold run on October 10, 2012, to $63.4 billion as of last week. That is the smallest allocation the group has seen since July 7, 2011.
Lipper defines CMP Funds as investing primarily in precious-metal commodity-linked derivative instruments or physicals.
This is a rapid reversal in precious metals holdings from 2012. Last year the asset class saw inflows of just under $9 billion -- while year to date some $19 billion has exited the space. Performance could clearly be the reason for the retreat. CMP Funds have lost nearly 13% for the one-year period ending June 19th.Meanwhile the news is even worse for funds investing in precious metal miner, exploration, distribution and other underlying company stocks comprising the Precious Metals Equity Funds (AU) group, which has lost over 41% during the same one-year period. Assets under management for AU Funds have declined to $15.4 billion from $38.6 billion on September 7, 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV