US Airways Awards Record $455,000 In College Scholarships To Children Of Employees, Retirees
TEMPE, Ariz., June 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- US Airways (NYSE: LCC) awarded $455,000 in college scholarships to 130 children of employees and retirees yesterday at a reception in Phoenix. The US Airways Education Foundation has previously awarded $2,500 college scholarships but last night the students learned they would receive $3,500 due to record fundraising done by the Foundation last year.
More than 325 students applied for the scholarships and a committee comprised of educators and community leaders carefully reviewed each application. Applicants were scored on academic achievement, leadership, awards and honors, community service and volunteerism, work commitment, financial need and memberships or affiliations. The committee also reviewed applicants' essays and letters of recommendation.
"Taking care of our employees also means helping to take care of their children. By assisting with the higher education of those children, we're supporting the continuing education of tomorrow's leaders in the communities we serve," said Elise Eberwein, executive vice president of People, Communications and Public Affairs for US Airways "Like their parents, who work or have worked as US Airways' crewmembers, mechanics, customer service and fleet service representatives or in corporate support functions, we, too, are extremely proud of this year's recipients."Recipients of the 2013 US Airways Education Foundation scholarship will be attending universities all across the country, and include:
- 46 students from the Charlotte, N.C. area,
- 28 recipients from Phoenix,
- 11 students from Philadelphia and
- Five recipients from Washington, D.C.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV