NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- One of my investment themes for 2013 is that the gold bubble of 2011 has popped, and would not re-inflate this week. The eight gold mining stocks that I have been tracking set new multi-year lows on Monday, and one has been upgraded to buy from hold this morning.
On March 5 I wrote, Multi-Year Lows Tarnish Gold Stocks where I mentioned that gold mining stocks were trading below their 200-week simple moving averages with Comex Gold futures still above its 200-week SMA. At that time gold had been above its 200-week since February 2002. That changed during the week of April 20 with gold falling below its 200-week SMA. Gold is now extremely oversold on its weekly chart profile.
As gold moved lower gold stocks were gradually downgraded to hold. On March 5, two of the eight gold miners had strong buy ratings, three had buy ratings and three had hold ratings. The last of the buy ratings ended on June 4. These downgrades as share prices moved lower were warnings to avoid gold and gold mining stocks.
In today's table of stocks, all eight are extremely undervalued by 40.3% to 66.6%. All eight stocks are down significantly over the last 12 months by 37.8% to 65.2%. The projected gains and losses for the next 12 months range from down 3.7% to up 6.6%. Six gold mining stocks have single-digit price-to-earnings ratios. All are significantly below their 200-day simple moving averages, so technically there is some upside on a reversion to the mean.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV