SINGAPORE and PARIS, June 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and Epsilon, the largest global network exchange, today announced an agreement to deploy an Alcatel-Lucent optical transport and IP network to meet the ever-increasing demand for higher-quality and cost-efficient broadband and video services.
The new network combines the power of IP and 100 gigabit-per-second (Gbps) optical networking to help Epsilon more effectively serve their worldwide of 500 carrier customers each of whom share a need to address demands from their enterprise for advanced services such as high-definition video, high-speed Internet access, Voice-over-IP content delivery networks.
- Epsilon is deploying 100G coherent technology taking advantage of unique Bell Labs innovations in silicon to support data speeds of 100 gigabits-per-second on each of the 80 wavelengths of an optical fiber, significantly boosting network capacity and performance.
- Network based on Alcatel-Lucent's 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS) converged WDM/OTN based-platform that will secure successful Epsilon network transformation to address traffic growth and new services
- Epsilon is also deploying Alcatel-Lucent's FP3-based 100GE technology on the Alcatel-Lucent 7750 Service Router as the core platform for Ethernet. In deploying Alcatel-Lucent's Service Routers, Epsilon will benefit from extensive scale and proven stability in addition to immense service offering possibilities.
- Alcatel-Lucent will provide its 5620 Service Aware Manager (SAM) that offers seamless management for both the IP and Optical portfolio. Epsilon will gain from the new IP-Optical converged era which offers better management, lower cost and more efficiency with less manpower on provisioning and operations.
Quotes:Jerzy Szlosarek, Chief Operating Officer of Epsilon, said: "At Epsilon we are seeing a rapidly growing market with demands for higher bandwidth. We recognized that we had to evolve our network to be more robust, more flexible, and have higher capacity to be able to offer a broader range of services to our carrier customers. Alcatel-Lucent's converged solution provides us with the benefits of both optical and IP networks with full interoperability between them and the 100G coherent interface cost-effectively builds upon our existing WDM-based infrastructure." Drazen Lukic, Vice President of Optics for Alcatel-Lucent's APAC region, said: "Our combined optical and IP offering, which is unique in the industry and proven in the global market, will dramatically expand Epsilon's capacity and advanced business services offerings, helping ensure the best experience possible for their carrier customers' subscribers. As importantly, we are providing Epsilon with a flexible platform that they can use to expand their capacity to 400G down the road, with only a minimal investment." About Epsilon TelecommunicationsEpsilon is a 'Global Network Exchange' providing a managed presence globally for carriers and service providers. Their services are based on a converged core optical and packet mesh network spanning the globe, physical colocation facilities in strategically significant locations, as well as vast experience in system integration and engineering support services. Epsilon is well positioned to enable and support customer's international gateway and connectivity requirements on a hosted or fully outsourced model. www.epsilontel.com About Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) The long-trusted partner of service providers, enterprises and governments around the world, Alcatel-Lucent is a leading innovator in the field of networking and communications technology, products and services. The company is home to Bell Labs, one of the world's foremost research centers, responsible for breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent innovations are regularly recognized by international institutions for their positive impact on society. In 2012 and for the second year running, Alcatel-Lucent was named one of the Thomson Reuters Top 100 Global Innovators, recognition for the company's continued addition to its world-class patent portfolio, one of the largest in the telecom industry. Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for its sustainability performance. In 2012 the company was ranked Technology Supersector Leader by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Through its innovations, Alcatel-Lucent is making communications more sustainable, more affordable and more accessible as we pursue our mission of Realizing the Potential of a Connected World. With operations throughout the world, Alcatel-Lucent is a local partner with global reach. The Company achieved revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012 and is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris. For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent. SOURCE Alcatel-Lucent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV