Wind River®, a world leader in embedded and mobile software, has developed Wind River Open Virtualization Profile to deliver high performance, open source, real-time kernel virtualization technologies for next generation telecommunications equipment as well as network functions virtualization (NFV) and cloud advancements.
The telecommunications industry is facing challenges from the exponential increase in data traffic generated by the flood of devices connecting to an increasingly strained network. Simultaneously, operators are pushing to rapidly introduce advanced services to generate new revenue streams and drive higher average revenue per user and device. Operators are also looking to reduce the cost of scaling and operating the network by gaining greater efficiencies in hardware utilization and energy consumption and are thus investigating trends such as software defined networking (SDN) and NFV.
Open Virtualization Profile is a high value add-on software profile for Wind River Linux developed by optimizing open source Kernel-Based Virtual Machine (KVM) technology. Customers get the benefit of a real-time deterministic KVM solution, with virtual machine management, and support from the leading commercial embedded Linux provider. Customers can adopt a scalable end-to-end commercially supported virtualization approach that combines the highest levels of performance, cost effectiveness and software intelligence portability across the network.
Open Virtualization Profile allows the deployment of network services on virtual machines without the performance loss associated with using traditional, propriety IT-like virtualization products. This unique real-time approach enables customers to build products that can flexibly run intelligent services anywhere on the network, from access right to the core, driving up network efficiency and substantially lowering operational network costs. Open Virtualization Profile meets the challenging demands of communications networks, but is applicable across other industries as well.Key features include the following:
- Real-time high performance; extremely low latency measuring as low as under 3 microseconds
- Flexible provisioning of virtual machines
- Live migration of virtual machines
- CPU isolation
- Open source-based; compatible with frameworks such as the Yocto Project™, oVirt and others
- Broad support for a variety of guest operating systems
- Optimization for Intel® architecture; integrated with Intel Data Plane Development Kit (Intel DPDK) and supports Intel DPDK Accelerated Open vSwitch
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts