Santarus, Inc. (NASDAQ: SNTS) and Pharming Group NV (NYSE Euronext: PHARM) announced that new data from a pivotal Phase III clinical study with RUCONEST ® (recombinant human C1 esterase inhibitor) for the treatment of acute angioedema attacks in patients with hereditary angioedema (HAE) were featured in a poster presentation yesterday at the European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI) & World Allergy Organization (WAO) World Allergy & Asthma Congress in Milan, Italy. The data indicate that the time to beginning of relief of symptoms in patients experiencing an acute attack of HAE was statistically significantly shorter with RUCONEST compared with placebo.
“RUCONEST has the potential to be an important addition to the therapeutic options available for the treatment of acute attacks of HAE based on the encouraging clinical data observed to date,” said Marc Riedl, M.D., Section Head Department of Clinical Immunology and Allergy, University of California, Los Angeles and lead author of the poster.
The poster is titled, Recombinant Human C1 Inhibitor for Treatment of Acute Attacks of Hereditary Angioedema: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. The primary endpoint and safety data from the study are summarized below:
Time to Beginning of Relief of Symptoms
|Median (95% CI), minutes||p-value*|
|Placebo (N=31)||RUCONEST (N=44)|
|Based on Treatment Effect Questionnaire|
|(TEQ) (Primary Endpoint)||152 (93, -)||90 (61, 150)||0.031|
|Based on Visual Analog Scale (VAS)|
|Decrease ≥ 20 mm||303 (81, 720)||75 (60, 105)||0.003|
*Based on log-rank test stratified by primary attack location; CI, confidence interval: -, not calculable.
Treatment-Emergent Adverse Events Occurring Within 72 Hours in 5% or More of Patients
|n (%)||n (%)|
|Treatment-emergent adverse events||4 (22%)||4 (7%)|
|Sinus congestion||1 (6%)||0|
|Vasomotor rhinitis||1 (6%)||0|
Note: Patients who received placebo (saline) followed by RUCONEST as rescue medications are summarized as placebo up to receipt of rescue medication and as RUCONEST afterwards.
- No thromboembolic events, anaphylaxis or neutralizing antibodies were observed
- One patient experienced a serious adverse event (abdominal hernia) approximately 79 days after RUCONEST administration
- No patients withdrew due to adverse events
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV