Underground Intelligence: Mapping Canada's Groundwater
New report, expert panels and NASA satellite photos show need to map, monitor and manage supplies in an era of drought and climate change
TORONTO, June 25, 2013 /CNW/ - Millions of Canadians depend on groundwater for their supplies, yet we know little about this underground supply or how it's changing over time, says the author of a new policy paper presented here today.
Ed Struzik, award-winning environment writer, told leading Canadian and international experts that it's important to do more to map, monitor and manage groundwater supplies because our reliance on this resource is bound to increase.
Mapping tells us where groundwater is, how it moves and how it is replenished over time. Monitoring tells us how much groundwater we have, what its quality is, and how the quantity and quality are changing. But mapping and monitoring water far below the earth's surface is not easy or cheap."There are technologies for making groundwater visible and options for internalizing costs. We need to embrace these tools," Struzik said in his paper and presentation, Underground Intelligence: The need to map, monitor and manage Canada's groundwater resources in an era of drought and climate change. "If we continue to treat groundwater with a lack of respect, we do so at our peril." The frequency and intensity of droughts since the 1990s and effects of climate change make it all the more important to treat groundwater more seriously, he noted. "We already face groundwater problems, and they will likely get worse as agricultural activities intensify, as demands on water from cities and industry, mining and energy developments grow, as pollutants migrate from historical and current sources into groundwater and as the impacts of climate change alter precipitation patterns and the storage of water in glaciers, snowpack and reservoirs."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV