NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Higher interest rate concerns have many investors wondering if stock dividend yields matter as much. I'm here to give a resounding yes to that question.
In fact, while fixed income may be taken out back to the woodshed, dividend-paying stocks continue offering upside capital appreciation while paying investors to sit and wait.
Not quite sure? Take a look at my last 2012 dividend article "Buy and Forget These 5 Dividend Stocks in 2013." By comparison, the S&P 500 ETF (SPY) is up about 12% during the same time period. After adjusting for dividends, my list becomes even more impressive.
Corning (GLW) + 13.35%Coca-Cola (KO) + 9.2% Wells Fargo (WFC) + 19.84% Intel (INTC) + 17.99% General Electric (GE) + 12.90% All but one beat the market average, and as a whole I beat the average by several percentage points (plus the difference in dividend payments). It's hard to argue that Coca-Cola is a loser because investors "only" made about 10% since the start of 2013. More importantly, I have a new list to present for your review. I've remained bullish with some names for some time now. I'm quite excited about the opportunities from the market weakness. Recent declines in share prices have opened the door to take advantage of buying dips. For long-term investors, it's hard to beat the outperformance of dividend-paying stocks. Historically, if you avoid yield traps and stick with boring, albeit growing, companies that have a history of increasing their dividends, you will beat the market. It's not rocket science, and it doesn't require paying an investment adviser. Buying dividend leaders has worked through bull and bear markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV