Elder Fraud Epidemic: How Banks Are Failing Seniors
Saddest is that, in many cases, elder fraud could be stopped early, perhaps even prevented, if financial institutions took a hard look at transactions involving vulnerable elderly customers, say the experts. Yes, bankers sometimes are crooks, but the institutions also have account histories, going back decades in many cases, with their senior customers and that information could be used to quickly flag irregularities.
"Financial institutions could play an important role here," said Steve Starnes, a financial advisor with Savant Capital Management, who said he has worked with a number of clients suffering serious cognitive decline - which, he stressed, is when most elder fraud occurs.
He added that - between financial institutions and more alert and involved family members - probably 90% of elder fraud could be stopped.
That's because much of this crime is crude. It's often as blatant as writing checks to oneself and holding the senior's hand as he or she signs the instruments. Another common ploy: requesting a debit card on an account that has never had one and then putting in frequent visits to ATMs.One state - Maryland in 2012 -- passed a law requiring financial institutions to report suspicious transactions involving senior citizens. How's it working? "The vast majority of our seniors still come into the branch to bank," said Frank Moran, director of security at Sandy Spring Bank in Olney, Md. "Our front line staff may notice that something is different."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV