NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- One of my favorite strategies to park money overnight is through dividend capturing. When timed and executed properly, dividend capturing is a relatively low-risk method of enhancing yields through hedging techniques.
I haven't captured many lately because of market correction fears. There is a saying on Wall Street that you "shouldn't pick up nickels in front of a steam roller," and I believe it's true.
In my options newsletter, I warned for weeks that dividend capturing wasn't worth the risk because option premium was relatively small (for an overall market gauge, you can look at the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term (VXX) to measure fear).
Two companies that don't care what direction the market is headed are U.S. Bancorp (USB) and WellPoint (WLP). Both companies are in the financial space, near 52-week highs and should have your attention.U.S. Bancorp is a financial services holding company and provides a comprehensive line of banking, brokerage, insurance, investment, mortgage, trust and payment services products to consumers, businesses and institutions. If you follow me on twitter, or read my bullish U.S. Bancorp articles including "Rising Dividend Stocks That Don't Care About the Fiscal Cliff" you know I've been bullish on U.S. Bancorp before 2013. USB data by YCharts
My optimism continues. The fundamentals are solid and the chart is a trend follower's dream. Even after the share price gains this year, the forward P/E ratio is only 10.9. I view short-sellers as the smart money on Wall Street.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV