TORONTO, June 24, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Gemoscan Canada, Inc. (TSX-V:GES) (MUN:1GE) ("Gemoscan" or the "Company") agrees that Obesity continues to be a 'hot topic' and applauds the recent designation by the American Medical Association (AMA) to classify obesity as an official disease ensuring this heavily debated discussion isn't going away anytime soon. Over 25 per cent of Canadian adults are overweight and rates among children are at an all time high according to a recent study conducted by the University of British Columbia, signaling the need for continued action and new approaches to manage this escalating problem - which may include one that is often overlooked, the role of food intolerances.
Canadians are bombarded with a repetitive list of steps to manage an expanding waistline, these include the standard measures - regular exercise, eating healthier foods and in some cases even surgery, but there is research to suggest that understanding an individuals food interactions can be an important factor that facilitates weight loss.
A 2012 study conducted by the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, concluded "eliminating foods that are reactive, while replacing them with similar, non-reactive foods to ensure that nutrient deficiencies do not occur, is a novel strategy for addressing the epidemic of obesity.""Yesterday's announcement by the AMA finally legitimizes the extent of the obesity problem which is responsible for so many co-morbidities and deaths in Canada and the US," says Dr. Mubina Jiwa, ND, Assistant Professor at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine and Chief Naturopathic Doctor - Gemoscan Canada, Inc. "This is a problem that needs to be looked at as a 'whole' and a variety of approaches need to be considered. I work with many patients who are battling obesity and one effective tool I employ is a proven method for food intolerance management."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV