NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- ETF industry veteran Christian Magoon recently hung his own shingle at the eponymous Magoon Capital to get into the fund business. YieldShares High Income (YYY) is the firm's first product.
YYY is a fund of closed-end funds, or CEFs. CEFs are a double-edged sword. Most of the time they offer fantastic yields, but during times of market stress as we've seen in the last few weeks, they can be very volatile.
The reason for the volatility is the CEF structure. Traditional mutual funds and exchange-traded funds can increase or decrease their number of shares based on asset flows. CEFs offer a fixed number of shares, which during times of heightened emotions can cause the market price of a CEF to diverge dramatically from the underlying net asset value (NAV) of the CEF. That is where CEF's trading at a premium to NAV or discount to NAV comes into play.
The other dynamic is the extent to which CEFs employ leverage as a way to enhance yield. Similar to a margin account, that leverage can work against the net asset value during large declines.YYY takes a balanced approach to asset allocation. Equity CEFs make up 59% of the fund. Debt funds make up 26% and broad asset-allocation funds 15%. The fund is populated through a screening of the CEF universe. To be considered for inclusion, a fund's market cap must be at least $500 million and meet minimum daily trading requirements to ensure liquidity. Funds meeting that criteria then go through a scoring process based on yield, discount to NAV and liquidity. The 30 CEFs with the highest scores are put into the fund and this process will then reconstitute annually.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV